Sunday, August 23, 2015

Life Sucks? Good!

Hey. Have a seat. Want me to get you some lemonade? Cookies? Let's talk for a while.

So I understand you've had a rough time. What's that? You don't want to talk about it? Oh that's alright. I understand. I have no idea what you could be going through. It could be the death of a loved one, it could be struggling with an addiction, it could even be as simple as not feeling like you worth it. Or heck, maybe you've just have a rough day.

But whatever happened, I don't need to know. I just know that you have doubts about whether or not you can make it through this.

Well, I've have times like that. Yeah. Really.

I've struggled with things too. Most of them, I'd rather not discuss right now. But back in middle school, I felt really lonely. I didn't feel like I had any real friends. I mean, I was incorrect, but the feelings were real, and I would cry. It's true.

But it got better. I made friends. I got more confidence. I even convinced a few girls that I'm worth going on dates with (It's up to them if I was right).

There were a few months in there that I was about as happy as I could be. My life just was going so well. Because of this, when my life crashed again (crashed isn't the right word here...maybe slowed down?), I was ready. Because I had learned that if things get bad, that only means things are about to get better.

I learned this simple truth in the scriptures. Did you expect me not to bring these things up? Ha! Oh Jeeves! Could you bring me my quad? Thank you.

Now, let's take a look shall we? Ah! Here it is! Doctrine and Covenants. Section 122, verse 7. "Know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good."

It's right there. The word of God saying that it's for the best that you're going through this. And think of what Joseph Smith was going through when he received this revelation. Liberty Jail. Ripped from his family. Small quarters. Filth that guards called food that was often poisoned.

Yes, even that experience was for Joseph's good.

And yes, things did get better for the Prophet. He eventually returned to his family, which was likely a wonderful day in his life. Now, Joseph is with Emma for all eternity. The church he was called to restore is 15 million strong, and still growing.

Now let's look at one more person who was called to go through a hard time. Can you guess who it is?

That's right! (Or not) It's our Savior, Jesus Christ. He was called to go through the ultimate hard time. Think of all the pain, all the trials, all the sins you've had. Now imagine those all at once. Now one more, imagine all of that times billions of people. For everyone who ever has, or ever will exist.

But just like it passed for me, and for Jospeh Smith, it passed for Christ. And he gained experience. "That he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people" (Alma 7:12). Now, he's helping us through it. And he's helping you through it.

This will pass, as all things do. Don't be discouraged. Don't cry out that God is not there. That's wrong in every way! God is always there! His love is your strength!

Keep moving. Keep fighting. You deserve to smile again. You deserve peace. And you will recieve it.

If right now, you're looking at your life, and you're saying that your life sucks, good! That only means that it's about to get better.

You're almost there. You're so close to joy. A little bit longer. You can do it! You have the greatest cheering section in the universe on your side. They all want you to beat this. And you can.

Keep that thought in mind.

-Nathaniel

No comments:

Post a Comment