Sunday, August 16, 2015

An Open Letter to You-Know-Who-You-Are

Dear, You-Know-Exactly-Who-You-Are-And-Don't-Deny-It

So the Stake Dance last night sure was fun wasn't it? Of course, you'll just have to take my word for it. After all, you weren't there.

See, other people I invited to come had excuse along the lines of "I'm out of town." "My leg's broken and a dance wouldn't be fun for me." I can understand that.

There were several people though who I invited that did come. And who did have fun.

But you. When I invited you, you said, "I don't want to." I mean, I appreciate honesty and all, but I can't seem to wrap my mind around why you wouldn't want to go to the dance.

Here is this setting where you are not only allowed, but encouraged to get to know the attractive young ladies around you. Where you have a chance to show off your dance moves.

Where you can impress people. Yeah, I did it. I wore a tie. With a casual shirt. It looked nice (as I was told). While you were probably watching a movie in a plain shirt and pair of Cheeto-stained shorts, I was in the middle of a dance battle (at least I think he was challenging me).

While you were trying to come up with a half decent reason why you shouldn't go (which, by the way, failed), I was building friendships.

And don't try to tell me that you wouldn't have fun, because that would be your own fault.

In my experience, fun and happiness is a choice. If you go somewhere, dedicated to have fun, you'll have fun.

However, if you have this paradigm that you won't have fun, than guess what, you won't have fun. It's as simple as that.

I think too often we refuse to do the things that we probably should do because we don't think it'll be worth it. And not just in life, but in the Gospel as well.

I think too often we have this view of how things should go, but that view ends up being completely wrong. However, the actual way things should go is full of happiness. But if you stay stuck with your own ideas and expectations, you'll never see the things that are actually going pretty well. Maybe even better than before.

For example, if you are prompted to do a certain thing, say, invite someone to church, you may hesitate. "But they won't want to go. They're not like that." But we know that "great shall be your with him in the Kingdom of my Father" (D&C 18:16).

All that you do, if done correctly, will be worth. Every experience you have in this life will be an opportunity to grow.

Even if that is something as simple as going to a Stake Dance. Because at least you'll build friendships.

So don't refuse an experience because you can't immediately see happiness or enjoyment. Have the experience and look for that. Or better yet, create the enjoyment.

I mean, at the Dance, I was partying it up. I looked good, felt good. I hope I helped a lot of people enjoy it. I tried to create an enjoyable setting for others.

But you stayed home, so just take my word for it.

Sincerely,

Nathaniel

P.S. That just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment