Friday, July 24, 2015

Pioneer47

Woah, what? It's Pioneer Day? Jeez, living outside of Utah really makes you forget doesn't it? But I think this is the perfect day for a thought!

Can I start calling my posts "thoughts"? Okay, cool.

So let's talk pioneers!

So I recently went on a Youth Trek. Four days of living the life of a pioneer. And I loved it. It was my second trek ever, and by far the best. I was ready, and my family was just incredible! As we say in the Frog family, "A family who cheats (I mean improvises) together, stays together."

I went on my first trek when I was thirteen. Back then, I think I was just happy to be there. I liked the pioneer stories, and yeah, I felt the spirit, but I didn't really get into it as much as I wanted.

But this time. My goodness. See, I was the "Big Brother", which really just meant I was the oldest boy in the family they put me in. In my biological family, I'm the sixth child out of seven. So I wasn't used to being an example to others. My younger sister is really it, but I'll probably talk about her more in another thought.

Here though, there were plenty of young boys and girls who looked up to me (both physically and spiritually). I mean, I like to think I'm usually a pretty good kid, but this time it was serious.

But there was a lot more to Trek than just having the chance to teach younger kids valuable lessons. See, I've had a lot of growth recently. Also something I'll talk about later. I've always wanted to go on a mission, but over the course of the last several months, I've dedicated myself to go and to prepare now.

Let me tell you, that wasn't easy. The devil didn't like that so much. But I grew so much closer to the man I need to people through everything. During my first trek, I was not even close to how I should be. I hung out with the wrong crowd, I said some words that aren't in the Holy Ghost's dictionary, and I was overall a naughty kid. I like to think that that was my rebellious phase.

This trek I had been excited for since I heard about it. So like, last year. And I prepared for it. There are some experiences I had on trek that are far to personal to share on my blog, but what I can share is that my testimony concerning the pioneers was strengthened so much through those four days.

There was one day that we did a "Men's Pull". Exactly what it sounds like. The girls left for a bit, and the boys all pulled the handcarts on their own. At first, a few of us were a little bitter. Why is this hill so long? It's so hot? Is that another hill?

Then I heard a group either ahead or behind us. They were singing. I think they were singing "Army of Helaman". Well, I joined in, and more people joined in. Soon, we had nearly every boy in the stake singing as we pulled that heavy handcart up the hill.

I think that excellently captures the pioneer spirit. There's that primary song. "Pioneer children sang as they walked, and walked, and walked." We did the same. We didn't complain. We sang. When that song was over, we sang a new song, and a new one. We never allowed ourselves to get discouraged, and kept walking and praising our Father in Heaven.

The pioneers did the same. However, it wasn't just a steep hill, or four days. It was months. It was thousands of miles. And they didn't choose to leave. Many of them had to. The Saints had been driven out of nearly every home they had. They'd lost family, or been forced to leave it behind. They'd left their jobs, their land, everything they had. They left, and went to Zion.

Everything they've been through was so humbling for them. Miracles happened out there on the plains, and I know that. I know that they didn't waste their time or effort. They did that so that the Lord could establish his kingdom. So that all of us could have the circumstances we do.

There are many lessons we can learn from these pioneers, and I urge you all learn them.

That's not just a thought. It's the truth.

Happy Pioneer Day!

-Nathaniel

No comments:

Post a Comment